| Remember How Much Fun Paint Can Be? |

Do you remember the first time you painted? The pure joy of smushing paint about? The miracle of watching colors interact? The visceral thrill of seeing just what the stuff would do?

Sometimes, as we gain skills and get more “serious” about art, it’s easy to get caught up in outcomes and we forget just how fun paint can be as a material. But don’t you find that playfulness is often where you best “serious” discoveries occur?

Pouring with acrylics can take just about anyone back to that immediate delight of handling pure color. Here is a video to show you a basic technique with pouring :

But you ought to know there is SO MUCH more it can do! For instance, have you seen Brazilian painter Beatriz Milhazes’ exuberant canvas collaged with layers of acrylic sheets in eyepopping colors and forms?

Image courtesy of James Cohan Gallery

I created this piece using pouring medium and string gel combined. See my post here for video with details on how I did it.

I’ll be teaching all this and more at my workshop on February 11 right here in my beautiful new studio in Emeryville. I’m so excited about my new location because it’s within walking distance of plenty of hotels and restaurants. So if you want to have a little San Francisco getaway/art retreat, the Hyatt, Sheraton, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Woodfin Suites, etc. are all within blocks of my studio.

The first 5 people to sign up are getting a bounteous bonus gift worth over $50 – a kit of acrylic inks, soft body colors, a medium, a mini canvas and a palette knife.

Here is list of materials that I used that will help you get started:

Happy Painting!

Responses to “Remember How Much Fun Paint Can Be?”

1. Kris Choy

Thanks Michele!
    that’s really a cool method for making an underpainting .
    hope you have a wonderful year .

2. Sue Sullivan

I love your video, Michele. It’s so fun! And I agree. As we get further in our practice it can be easy to get overly serious, which not only takes away the joy but also much of the creativity.

• Michele Theberge

I know, Sue. I think that’s the balance we have to learn as artists. It’s a fun challenge, perhaps easier for some than others – to keep the light playful attitude at the same time being dedicated to making the best work we can.

3. Sandhya

This is so amazing!!! I totally love it…Thank you for sharing it…

4. Cheryl Ann Morgan

Love the unpredictability of final outcome with this. No way you can get too precious! Also, similar effect of a resin coating without the high toxic exposure. Thanks, Michele! Here’s to an artful New Year.

5. Betsey

That does look like fun! Do they have matte pouring mediums as well?

6. ChicagoHawksGal

Can you transfer photos on top of the dried painting? I would love to collage on top of the initial and subsequent layers. Have used matte medium to do photo transfers onto wood and canvas, and would love to try it on top of dried pouring medium (with colors) as well. Thanks, and great inspiration video!

• Michele Theberge

for sure! Whatever you did on top of matte medium should work on pouring medium. Please share images here! Just found out today that you could do that by clicking the little picture icon in the lower left corner of this comment box. Would love to see what you are up to! And I’m also interested in this being a community forum where we can all see each others work and share with not just me but all the artists who read this blog. : )

7. Penny McCoy

This looks like so much fun. Will experiment and get back to yo Michelle.

8. Nita gk

9. Sandy Bostwick

What are you pouring on? Is that a canvas I could buy at the craft store? Do you have to prepare it with something before you start? Not an artist, but I think I could try this!

• Michele Theberge

Yes! Canvas works for small scale pours! You can also pour on wood panels and scraps of plywood with a smooth veneer that you gesso. But I think buying some small canvases will be easiest for you. Have fun!

10. Elizabeth Ballestero

Muy precioso todo. Me encantaría aprender esa técnica. Si puede incluir tutoriales. Y cómo logró verlos en español. No se inglés. Gracias

11. Nora

excellent work

12. Nora

excellent

13. valery

Dear Michele, awesome ! Is there any possibility to work with matte medium ? Have you ever tried ?

14. Wendy

Hi. I was just wondering what the pouring medium is? Thank you

15. Leann

What is the acrylic paint/medium ratio?

16. Sabina

Hi Michele , Amazing work ! I would love to try it . Could you list the names of the medium and paints used ? Please and Thankyou .

17. Monica Garcia

Have you tried pouring this on glass?

18. Amy

Great Video
    Do I use liq.medium Mat or glossy and
    Any Acrylic paint is ok

19. Pnina salu

Can you give the list of material that you are using in the video?

• Michele Theberge

I added a list of materials to the end of the post. Thanks for the question!