| Using acrylic mediums to created mixed media foil sheets |

A couple of years ago, I was invited by curator Chandra Cerrito to create a piece for the exhibition she was curating at the di Rosa called Altered States: The Collection in Context of artworks related to the mystical, the transcendent and the transformative.

Sea of Connections

I was given a large wall in the gallery space overlooking a small lake. Inspired by a meditative state I had been studying and experiencing call the Sea of Connections, I decided to make a link between this state, the lake outside and the piece.

My intention was to create a piece that would reflect light, shimmer and glow. Based on my in-depth knowledge of acrylic mediums, I innovated a brand new material using acrylics over aluminum foil.

The finished pieced measured was over 6 ½ feet tall by 11 feet wide (198 cm x 348 cm).

Here’s I video I made for you showing exactly how I made the sheets:

And here is a video showing how I connected all those sheets to make the whole piece.

Responses to “Using acrylic mediums to created mixed media foil sheets”

1. Kris Choy

Hi Michele
    thanks for sharing that technique ..
    I live near the ocean so I am going to experiment with that on a seascape painting..the light on the sea creates that shimmer effect and so that technique would work perfectly for that. thanks again.
    peace
    Kris

• admin

Kris – Hope you have fun with this and would love to see what you come up with! Michele

2. Christine

Thanks, Michele! Fun to see how you created that–great idea. I hope to get to one of your demonstrations in the bay area!

• admin

Christine – Thanks! The next free demo in the Bay Area will be Saturday, October 29 in Seaside, CA. If you are getting my newsletter, I will keep you updated that way in the “Where’s Michele?” section. If you are not on the newsletter yet, fill in the boxes to the right and that will automatically subscribe you.

3. Marge Knyper

Thanks for sharing that info. Always great to see what you are up to. Where is the gallery the piece is in? Love to see it in person!

4. Gabrielle

Thanks Michele! What a great tip and clear explanation!

5. Remember How Much Fun Paint Can Be? | themindfulartist.comthemindfulartist.com

[…] created this piece using pouring medium and string gel combined. See my post here for video with details on how I did […]

6. Eileen

Hi Michele,
    I love this idea. What is the ratio between the pouring medium and the string gel? And if you were then adhering the foil to a canvas or cradle board, what did you use?
    I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

• Michele Theberge

HI Eileen, I used about 50/50 pouring to string gel. I did not adhere the foil to another surface. But I’ll post the other video here below the first so you can see how I connected it! Let me know what you think!

7. Eileen

Thank you Michele. Do you have any videos on how to create light in a painting? I so appreciate your kindness in sharing your knowledge and experiences Michele. Many Blessings for the New Year.

8. Eileen

Hi Michele,
    I just watched the video with you using the string gel to adhere the pieces together. What a wonderful idea! There is so much to learn about the various uses of the mediums…I feel like a kid in a candy store! Also, I appreciate how you had the camera zoom in while you were working so we could get a close up. Great. Do you use ordinary soft kind of brushes when applying varnishes and the mediums? Of is there a brand you like that is good for varnish applying etc?

9. Eileen

Hi Michele,
    Thank you for getting back to me . I’m thinking of abstract paintings, where light comes through the layering is probably the best way I can describe it. There is an artist who captures light in a way that appeals to me. His name is Blu Smith and he lives in Victoria BC.